Thursday, January 12, 2012

How much would it cost to build a pontoon boat?

I have the logs from a 18ft boat. It need a floor, rails and a motor seats and everything else. I was thinking about starting a new project but I was curious as to how much money I will have to dump into it. ThanksHow much would it cost to build a pontoon boat?
You may actually be better off buying used. Cheap marine seating can cost upwards of $1,000 for the basics. Not sure about rails.



check out www.pontoonstuff.com (no, not kidding at all)



I just redecked my 25' toon last year. I got furniture off Ebay for $1200, but had to drive six hours to get it. Used engines in the 50 horse range can be had for as little as $300-$500, but a new 50hp will cost you about $4,500. Figure roughly 100 bucks per horse in that range, but you can get some deals.



Rigging for steering, throttle, shift, and all the lighting, will cost you roughly $500 new, but again, used is available on Ebay or in boneyards. I started with a beater boat, but the rails, motor, etc were already there. Oh yeah, the rails are very pricey. You'd be money ahead scouting the papers for a solid used boat that you can rehab.How much would it cost to build a pontoon boat?
I think it would cost around $5,000 when all is said and done, I am looking for pontoon logs where did you find yours?

Report Abuse

How much would it cost to build a pontoon boat?
Wild guess with a new motor = $4,000.
Most of the pieces won't be too costly with the exception of an engine. For an 18 footer you will be able to limp around with a 25 horsepower engine, but would probably be happier with something more powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment