Sunday, January 1, 2012

Anyone out there know if you can get an electric wheelchair on a pontoon boat?

I'm looking at party barges and would appreciate some first hand knowledge about the accessibility issue...being in a wheeichair myself I need some feedback on the in's an outs, do's %26amp; don'ts with party barge/pontoon boats and 300lb wheelchair not including me.





So if you or someone you know has dealt with this situation please let me know...thanks.|||I agree with Tom above. Just make sure that when you do purchase a pontoon, that the deck is big enough that you will be able to move around in the wheelchair. Most pontoons are large enough to hold 12+ people, so I do not think that you will have a problem with the weight of the wheelchair.|||If you have a good aluminum dock and someone can help you get on and off go for it, you might also want to build a ramp|||Yes you can. Your floating dock needs to be at the same height above the water as the deck of your boat. You also need a gate in your hand rails wide enough to accept the wheel chair. This gate should be on one side or the other in about the middle of the boat. With the boat securely alongside the dock, you just roll aboard through the gate.


I've done this many times on a public pontoon boat I was captain of.|||if you sink the crippled guy is screwed

No comments:

Post a Comment