Sunday, January 1, 2012

How can I make a homemade outboard motor steering system for a pontoon boat?

I have built a 3 hull 8 man pontoon boat. It is 13' x 8'. It has three hull's and a wood framed platform 10' x 8'. There is a tiki hut framed canopy covering the platform with 3' high bamboo siding around the perimeter. There is wood framed benches running along the back and both sides. I have framed a 2" x 6" motor mount along the back of the hull's. I'm thinking of getting a 8 to 9.9 hp outboard motor for it. I have not the slightest clue how I'm going to steer this boat. There is a 3' low wall that runs along the back of the boat and the out board motor will mount about 2'-6" behind the captains seat. How can I connect a steering system or connect an extension to the throtle where I can steer the boat? Please help?|||get yourself some PTO cables, secure em to the motor bracket, you can use a steering wheel but youll only be turning like 130 degrees total so a lever would do just as well.





some people preffer a strait mechanical linkage, like steering on a truck, but for a little pontoon that wasnt built to have remote steering, it would be more cost effective to use PTO cables.





i wish i could post a drawing i just made... it makes perfect sense when you 'see' it.|||Find a dealer with a junk boat with an outboard and buy the steering system from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment